...you care about yourself!
At no point have you made a conscious decision to not care about yourself.
Since all behavior is learned, the question becomes: Who taught you to not care about yourself?
Think formative years...
- Did your parents mirror good self-care habits?
- Were you rewarded for putting others first/yourself last?
- Were other activities valued more?
- Was self-care viewed as selfish?
- Did you grow up in a warm, loving environment?
Learning self-care is not as crucial as unlearning the patterns that led to a lack of it.
"Transformation is more often about unlearning than learning." Richard Rohr